HASHIMA ISLAND OF NAGASAKI, JAPAN
The people of this island left the place in the 1970s. This town is about 15kms away from Nagasaki. Early 20th century, Hashima Island also known as Gunkanjima was developed by a company known as Mitsubishi Corporation as a result of its mineral resources which was coal.
The production of coal was at 400,000 tons in the year 1914, and there was a need to build a place where the miners would live. In 1959, the population of the newly built home for miners increased, and at a point, Mitsubishi had to shut the town down due to the scarcity of coal.
After this place was deserted, everything started falling apart and the gate was shut against all visitors until it was finally reopened in 2009.
Till today Gunkanjima does not cease to attract tourists despite the condition of the place.